Sydney police have urged kidnappers to release 85 year old Chris Baghsarian, who officers believe was taken by mistake from his home in North Ryde.
The elderly man was abducted early Friday morning when at least three men arrived at his property in a dark SUV. CCTV footage shows two hooded figures approaching the house and later carrying a struggling man to the vehicle before driving away.
Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks said investigators are confident the offenders targeted the wrong person.
“They meant to take someone else but grabbed the wrong man,” he told reporters. He confirmed that the family has not received any ransom demand.
Family in Distress as Time Becomes Critical
Baghsarian lives alone and requires daily medication. Police say his health makes the situation urgent.
His family remains deeply distressed. They have asked only for his safe return.
Marks said he has seen videos circulating in Sydney’s criminal circles that show the elderly man injured at an unknown location. He described the footage as disturbing and said every hour matters.
“In most kidnappings, we see ransom contact quickly,” he explained. “This case is different. The family has no links to organised crime, and no one has asked for money.”
Possible Link to Underworld Mistakes
According to a report by The Sydney Morning Herald, mistaken identity cases have increased in Sydney’s underworld. Large crime groups often outsource jobs, which raises the risk of targeting the wrong person.
Last year, a 23 year old plumber was shot dead outside his home in Condell Park. Police later said that case also appeared to involve mistaken identity.
Marks said he is “a million per cent confident” that Baghsarian was not the intended target. However, he did not reveal who investigators believe the kidnappers meant to abduct.
“The fact they got it so wrong is deeply concerning,” he added.
Burnt Vehicle Found Nearby
Shortly after the abduction, officers found a burnt out vehicle in South Turramurra. The car matches the description of the suspected getaway SUV.
Police said Baghsarian wore grey pyjamas and a red and blue flannelette shirt when the attackers took him.
New South Wales Premier Chris Minns also appealed directly to the kidnappers. He urged them to leave Baghsarian at a shopping centre, hospital emergency department, or nursing home.
“Let police know where he is, or drop him somewhere safe,” he said. “Do it as soon as possible.”
Ongoing Investigation
Detectives continue to examine CCTV footage and forensic evidence. They have asked residents to report any unusual activity, especially around vacant properties.
Police stress that the priority remains Baghsarian’s safe return. Authorities believe public awareness may help secure his release.
